Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Wall I Hit

In my last blog, I gave you a little background on my start in running. It hasn't been easy over the past few years. In 2012 I got pregnant (and still ran a 5K)! Not long after that 5K I gave up running for the rest of my pregnancy. I still have mixed feelings about giving it up. I had terrible morning sickness and zero energy; still sometimes I wish I had pushed myself to do a little running. My daughter arrived and I was excited to get back into running and working out. I rejoined my gym and sadly to date have only been maybe 5 times. I didn't have to drive to work out or go for a run. I went here and there with my friends. But not regularly like I had before my pregnancy. My fabulous girlfriend (yup same one who talked me into my first 5K), talked me into doing a 5K color run. I said sure it'll be fun. It was a lot of fun, but again I did lots of walking. I was very out of shape. After that race, I didn't keep up with my running. I found myself making excuses not to go. It was like I hit a wall full speed and had no drive to fix it. Then my husband signed us up for an obstacle 5K full of mud and military type challenges. Again, my girlfriend was doing it as well. I was in panic mode! My baby was only 6 months old, I hadn't worked out or ran or trained for anything other than becoming a pro at nursing my baby! So many times I begged to back out. To find someone to take my spot. Nope. Not one person wanted my spot. The day came, I was sick to my stomach but held a poker face. Yup I'm good like that, show no fear!! We started off and I must say I laughed the entire way through the mud pits. It was challenging and I ended up in mud pits more than I was on track. However, I finished! I did it! I was so proud of myself. But like all good things, I stopped running again. Another block in the road to running.
I had pretty much given up on running. I had no desire and while Fabulous went on the run a 10K and half marathons, I sat there okay with not running. What on earth was wrong with me?! I would tell myself I love running, but had grown to hate it. Being a fire wife, I am without my soul mate often. I found juggling 3 kids was tricky and that there was no time to run. When he was home, I was to exhausted to want to go run. Excuse after excuse. Then that all changed.
Jan. 12, 2014. I arrived at Magic Kingdom at 4:30 am. Stood in the cold with other spectators waiting for fabulous and another friend to run through in the following hours. It was  Walt Disney World's Marathon Weekend. My best friend, Fabulous was going to run 26 point freaking 2 miles!! I was so anxious to see her run by. While waiting I saw the first wheelchair contestants come through, I shed tears for them. It was such an experience to see such a thing! Then the runners began to filter through. It was surreal. An awaking that I needed. Then, there she was running, my  Fabulous!  Tears of joy instantly fell. I cried like a baby seeing her. No joke. Not even going to try to lie; (the photos hold the proof).  I cried. I was so excited and happy for her! She kept on and I bounced on the monorail to go to the finish line. A few hours later she came through (thank goodness for sunglasses) I'm just saying! She did it! 26.2 miles! It was an amazing thing to witness. Unbelievable. It was just what I needed to knock that block over. 
1523616_10152188872454524_25294253_o
I told her I was making it a goal to do a half marathon. I  needed to start training. It wasn't an easy start back up, having to go around my husband's fire schedule. I could only go certain days and not having a jogging stroller to throw my now 1 year old in was keeping me back.  I was determined. I am determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment