Today was a run day. A crappy run day. But a run day.
My fireman came home from the station this morning. Yesterday he had a day of training in full on bunker gear. While drinking my coffee, I assumed that he is not going to be up for a run and that I'll be on my own. YES!!! Except fireman tells me he wants to go for a run. (wishful thinking gone right out the window).
We get to the high school track and my fireman decides he is going to push the jogger so I can get some running in without the extra baggage. How thoughtful, until the wind hit me like a ton of bricks! I felt like I was running in slow motion going nowhere. After 2 laps in my calves were on fire and I still felt like I was making zero progress. Just when I thought this run couldn't get any worse, Fireman passes me up with the jogger. What?! How?! I silently cursed myself. How is it that he can work a 24 hour shift; complete a training exercise and still run with the jogging stroller and pass me?!? Not cool. Not at all. Running fire wife problem #1
We switched off for a few laps; I felt like quitting. The wind was not kind to me or my calves that were still screaming as I pushed through mile 2. Fireman decided to take the jogger back and do a cool down. Must be nice to finish a run in amazing time and not look like he was dying. Running fire wife problem #2
Working on mile 3 I started to feel much better. Good song came on I got my vibe back. I needed it. Thank goodness for music. Good music. Calves stopped aching so bad and I pushed through the wind. Just as I was finishing my last lap I assumed this was going to be my worst timing ever; The little Nike guy comes through my headphones to tell me I did 3 miles in 36:13 minutes with a pace of 11:58 per mile! I broke my record! I DID IT!!! Best time ever!
I nearly gave up this run. It was not a happy run, not with my fireman running past me like it was nothing. I did it. I finished it.
This crappy run taught me 2 things.
Not all runs are good runs.
Suck it up and run on.
No comments:
Post a Comment