Yesterday morning was the Cowboy 5k in our town. It helps benefit the IB program at my daughter's school. It was a chilly morning! first cold of the season, so needless to say we were a bit cold!
My daughter has been running 8:32-9 minute miles in gym. I told her to just run and not wait for me! I am not that fast! HA! The race started and she wasted no time leaving me! I was excited for her! For me this race was all about her. I wanted to see what she was capable of. In the past we have always ran together, and I have always felt that I hold her back. I look back to our WDW Princess 5k and have no clue how I kept up with her. So this race I told her to just run and not look back. When she passed me on the loop back I was struggling a little, not normal for me. I was still cold and my nose was all stuffy. ( for those that know me, know I run with tissues. True story). I forgot my tissues and was miserable the entire run, but thinking of Lenee and how well she was doing was what kept me going. As we passed each other I told her to keep going! I was proud!
As I came to the finish line I saw Fireman, Lenee and the family! But the main thing I saw was the time! For real was I finishing in under 32-35 minutes?!?! Most of my 5k runs are 35 minutes, the occasional run is 32 minutes on a good day. But I saw that time and picked up my speed, I had to finish under 32 minutes! Had to!
My time was 31:39!!! No way!!! I couldn't believe it!!
My fireman was amazing enough to snap this picture. You really can't see me, and I don't care. My finish time is all that matters!! I couldn't be more proud of myself for that time improvement. It might not be a lot to some. It is to me and that's all I care about. I finished 5th in my age group and 65th overall! Not bad!
Okay enough about me, back to my amazing 11 year old.
She ran the 5k in 29:07!! With a pace of 9:24! I am so glad I didn't hold her back. Even though we only had a few minutes between us. That makes a huge difference to a runner! So yes I will be bragging until her next 5k about her time!
After the race there were refreshments and a raffle, we almost left because it was cold. But I said let's stay and see if we win anything. Sure enough I won a gift certificate to a local restaurant. Whoop! I love food!! A great end to a great race! I am thankful we have an awesome running community that puts on great races!









No comments:
Post a Comment