Starting last June, we decided no more fast food. We've stuck to that rule. I can't wait to celebrate the 1 year mark next month!
In January, we decided we were going to exercise more and move towards cleaner eating. It has been a challenge at times. I've tested myself more than once. Even caved a time or two. I am happy to say that 4 months later I feel like I have control.
One of the things to cut was coffee creamer. I was a sucker for loading my coffee with that stuff. I wouldn't add sugar, just a ton of creamer. I slowly started cutting back the amount. Fireman cut it cold turkey and never looked back. One morning I woke and said when I run out of this creamer, that's it. No more. It was hard drinking coffee black that first week. I survived. Now it's not bad at all. Even when I hit up Starbucks, I get a black ice coffee. I do ask for sugar, as a treat to myself that I don't need a whipped cream latte.
The next thing to go was soda. I'll admit. I loved my Pepsi. LOVED. We have never stocked soda in the home. We would get at a restaurant or while out and about. Regardless, it was still soda, still very bad for one's self. February was the last time I had a soda. I've craved it and when I was having a stressful day I really wanted it because sugar and junk fixes everything. Right? Now that it has been a few months I am okay and Pepsi doesn't come to my mind. Truth is, I don't miss it at all. I am so happy I gave it up.
The next thing we've pretty much cut out all together is processed foods. We still have a little ways to go with it, but a chunk is gone. I read all labels on the things we buy now. I only buy my fruit / veggies from the local produce stand. We eat so much better.
With doing those few things, along with of course running. I have lost weight. I didn't even realize until my clothes were practically falling off and my belts were to big to help. I was a 7/9 and now I am a size 2/3. Unreal! I have never been that small. Not even in high school. My wedding rings are huge on me. It's amazing what a healthy diet and some running will do.
Since I was only running, I do have some flab and I have started back at the gym to tone some of this; (I hope). I rather run then weight train, I have to remind myself that cross training is good. The end results will so be worth it. I can do this!
Last, I am still unsure of how to respond to people who comment on my weight loss. Some just say nice things. But there is always that person or two, that make odd comments, Like "don't lose to much weight" or "you're going to waste away". I have been just smiling and laughing, but really I want to tell them to fly a kite or this is what being healthy is. How do you handle weight loss questions and comments?
Bottom line is I am healthy, happy and proud of myself!

So awesome!! I think that is really the best way to cut out things instead of doing it all cold turkey....baby steps. I stopped stocking cokes (and I love coke!) in our house last summer too. I will still have on occasionally when we go out (others are drinking wine and I'm over there loving on my cherry coke), but it is a treat, not a daily option. I get a lot of comments like "that's all you do is work out", but it's what I love to do and really it's not my life, just an hour or two a day. I feel like saying, "maybe you should try it!" lol, but just nod and smile instead.
ReplyDeleteThat is so awesome!!!! I am really hitting my fitness hard and I am hoping to have great success like you did! I was a mountain dew girl! I stocked those babies at home and could drink up to 6 a day! Now , i havent had any soda in weeks, but I know i can have it as just a treat!
ReplyDelete